- Awards & Honors
Dr. Hunter was born in England, grew up in Canada and moved to the USA in 1994. He has spent his career working with teachers, students, and professional developers on Chemistry and STEM teacher education curriculum development and instructional methods. He is a devout constructivist and hence tries to put people in position of exploring their own strengths and learning from their own experiences.
401Atomic And Molecular Structure
Research Interests & Areas
- Teaching in the Illinois State University Chemistry Education Graduate Programs via Distance Education.
- Working with the ACS, AAPT, MAA, APS and NSF on a Get The Facts Out Campaign about STEM teacher careers.
- Evaluating the implementation of the NSF-funded SSTEM Energy Scholars and Noyce Master Teacher Fellows Programs at Southern Illinois University.
- Evaluating the implementation of the Atom Scholars Program at the University of Central Arkansas.
- Working with the University of West Indies - Cave Hill on developing an undergraduate chemistry teacher education program.
- Developing a chemistry graduate student pipeline for Zambia.
- Leading a 2020-2024 Midwest Robert Noyce Conference Grant with 90 projects, 750 students, teachers, and faculty, 14 teacher workshops.
- Partnering with the UMN, UW, OSU, UWI, Cover Cress Inc, and the 4H on developing an economic and agronomic model for the renewable energy via modification and adoption of pennycress, as a cover crop.